Chinese proverb

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break."
(ancient Chinese proverb)


Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ugh...an RFE!!!

There are many acronyms in the world of adoption paperwork, but none more dreaded than the RFE (request for evidence). 
 
Our I-800A was mailed in to USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration) on August 9th, the day after our home study was approved (that is the very earliest you can submit it).  On August 25th we received our fingerprint notice with an appointment date of September 14th.  But, not being the kind of people to sit back and wait...we went to the office this past Wednesday (August 29th) and walked-in for our fingerprints.  They were very kind, took our paperwork with the appointment date on it and allowed us to be fingerprinted.  We were beyond thrilled!  I had heard on-line of some people being allowed to do this, but there was no guarantee. 
 
Now the not so good news...

The day after our fingerprints I was able to get in touch with the Immigration Officer who will be reviewing and approving our I-800A.  She told me she would get right to work on it.  I was so excited!  When she called me back about 4 hours later I could hardly contain my excitement....until I heard that acronym...RFE.  She was apologetic but apparently just one little sentence had been omitted from our home study.  She is unable to approve us until our agency submits an addendum with that one...little...sentence.  It was Thursday at 5:00pm.  And just our luck, it is Labor Day weekend so our social worker was out of the office Friday and the earliest she can get it done is next Tuesday.  REALLY??  This stinks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment