Chinese proverb

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break."
(ancient Chinese proverb)


Monday, June 17, 2013

the Olympian, the All-Star and the Ballerina

Our Gold Medal Olympian
Riley has been participating in our local chapter of the Special Olympics since he was six years old.  He's done bowling, track & field, and equestrian.  Every season there is a local qualifying event for each particular sport.  Twice Riley has done so well at the local event that he qualified to participate in the Pennsylvania Special Olympics State Games at Penn State University!  The first time was two years ago, and the second time was just two weeks ago.  Both times he qualified in equestrian.  Attending the State Games has been a HUGE challenge but an even greater accomplishment for Riley!  All Special Olympics athletes are required to sleep in the dorms with their coaches and teammates (and we stayed at a nearby hotel).  These two trips to Penn State have been the first and only times that Riley has ever been out of the direct supervision of us, our extended family or his 1:1 aide at school.  And he has done so well...surpassing our expectations.  We are so proud of him.  Even just a few years ago I would have never imagined that he would try something like this AND be so successful at it!  This time he participated in three events and received the gold medal in each of his events!  He was the only one from his team of 20 riders to receive the gold medal in all of their events.  And while that in and of itself is exciting and thrilling, seeing all that he has accomplished socially and emotionally means so much more.
The Special Olympics organization is simply amazing....it has helped my boy do amazing things...things that I at one time never imagined were possible.
I am one PROUD mama of my gold medal champion!




 

 
Our All-Star Slugger
Aidan was chosen by his fellow baseball teammates to be one of four players from his team to participate in the All-Star game last weekend.  Aidan eats, sleeps and breathes sports...any sport.  In fact, he can make up a game with just a few items he finds laying around outside.  He is the kind of kid who needs to always be busy.  He can have hockey, soccer and baseball games all on the same day...and then he'll still come home and beg his dad to go outside and play kickball with him.  I have always joked that he needs an "off switch"...or at the very least I would love to be able to remove his batteries once in a while!  I don't know where he gets his energy from, but I have heard over and over that his dad was exactly the same way when he was younger!
 
 
 
 

Our Prima Ballerina
Maura danced in her 3rd dance recital on Saturday afternoon.  Her class danced to "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" this year.  Ain't that the truth...she really is a pretty little angel in my eyes!  I have always looked forward to having a beautiful little girl of my own, dancing her heart out on stage.  And I will admit...I am one proud stage mom!  I can still remember long ago when I was a little ballerina and loved to get dressed up in a costume, wear make-up and dance on the big stage.  Now, seeing my little girl do the same thing make my heart swell with pride.  I get so excited for her (and me) when I am pulling her hair back in a tight bun, dusting her cheeks with blush and painting her lips with bright lipstick.  Then, helping her step into her sequin and feather embellished tutu I can hardly stand it...she is gorgeous an I am teary eyed!

Maura has the absolute BEST dance teacher ever...my very good friend since high school, who now has her own dance studio.

Maura (in the middle) with her "bestest" friends



 
 Below is Sean and 3 of his friends from high school, who are all still friends today,
each with their first born daughter, who were all in the same dance class this year...
Really neat! 
Who would have thought 20 years ago that these four guys would all stand together in 2013 at the very same high school with little girls of their own....who are also friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment