Chinese proverb

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break."
(ancient Chinese proverb)


Thursday, February 12, 2015

my soapbox...

I often have strong feelings and opinions about many topics, but I don't usually get this fired up.

This is different though.

MEASLES.

Just months ago it was a disease I didn't consider much of a threat...but that's no longer the case.

I understand that some people feel it is their right to choose not to vaccinate their child.  I don't agree that that is the best or safest choice for their child, but I know I don't have a say in the choices they make for their child.

What I hope they understand is that the choice they make to not vaccinate their child DOES affect my child.

My child has an immunodeficiency.  Her body is unable to protect itself from illness/disease in the usual way.  Her body also does not recognize vaccines.  So even though I made what I  thought was the best/safest choice for my child...to vaccinate her...her immune system can't mount an immune response to vaccines.  She has received the measles vaccine 3 times but her body acts as if she never received it.  She has had her titers checked and measles is one of the many preventable diseases that she is NOT protected against.

Measles, which is very preventable, is also very contagious.

It is an airborne disease.

Other common illnesses are not airborne, such as Influenza and RSV.  So even though they seem very contagious, especially in schools and daycare settings, they are not nearly as contagious as measles!

Measles is so contagious that the virus remains suspended in the air for up to 2 hours after an infected person coughs or sneezes...in a room, an elevator, a bus, plane or train.  The infected person may be long gone, but the virus is not.  No amount of hand sanitizer can protect you from measles.

Those without immunity to measles...

...either by choice due to non-vaccination or NOT BY CHOICE due to conditions such as immunodeficiency or diseases in which the treatment results in immunosuppression (cancer and organ transplant to name a few) and infants who are too young to receive the vaccine yet...

...are 90% likely to become infected with measles if exposed to it.  90%

If my child were to enter a room or elevator 2 hours after an infected person, she has a 90% chance of becoming infected herself.  And people are contagious for 4 days before the tell-tale rash appears.  So, they walk around thinking they just have a cold, when it's really much worse.  4 days of exposing people, some of whom are VERY at risk.

Measles is not a benign disease...it can have complications such as pneumonia and encephalitis (inflammation of the brain).  Both of which could be devastating for someone who already has an underlying immunodeficiency.

Those who choose not to vaccinate their child are making a choice that puts my child at risk...and I don't get a choice at all.  How is that fair??


I feel better now that I have that off my chest...
I'll step off my soapbox (for now).

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Praying all of you stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alisa! I was hesitant to post about this topic at first. But after much thought...this is just so very important for the health of Audra and so many others who are at such high risk because of immune system disorders.

    ReplyDelete