Chinese proverb

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break."
(ancient Chinese proverb)


Friday, July 5, 2013

First 4th

Happy Birthday America!

The Fourth of July has always been such a fun holiday, a favorite of mine...BBQ's, carnivals, fireworks!  But never before has it been so sentimental for me.  I suppose, for me, being born in the "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave", maybe I didn't always fully appreciate all that I was blessed to have.  Freedoms and rights entitled to me by merely being born in the USA. 

But my eyes have been opened this year...

My sweet Audra, born over five years ago in a land halfway around the world, in a country without the blessings of freedom as we know it...is now, by the miracle of adoption, a U.S. citizen.  The simple act of walking off a plane in NYC and having her precious little feet touch U.S. soil bestowed upon her all the freedoms and rights I may have, at times, under-appreciated.  But no longer!  And no longer can I listen to the words of our National Anthem without getting a lump in my throat, and feeling my heart race a bit as it swells with pride. 

I am proud...and I am blessed! 

 

 

 Nap time after her mini portrait session!
 
We decided to spend some family-time at the community pool. 
Tim, Dawn, Daniel and Charlotte joined us. 
Some improvising was needed once I put Audra's size 18 month bathing suit on...
the bottoms fell right down to her ankle. 
I always keep safety pins on hand these days!

 
I don't think she has had much (if any!) swimming pool experience.  She was not very happy to be in the water.  She would go in as long as I held on to her...tightly. 
 
She did actually smile with Charlotte in the kiddie pool where she could stand...but she stood completely still, and didn't move one little step!
 
Audra much preferred snack time over water time!

 


 
p.s.  I have learned to watch what I wish for!  Audra was off antibiotics for a whole 7 days when I took her in for her weight check earlier this week.  She had a bit of a cold (runny nose, cough, etc) for 2 days before that.  Well, turns out she had an ear infection!  Poor girl...that's why she is having a hard time falling asleep at night...she probably didn't want to lay down because it hurt.  Silly me thought she didn't want to lay down because she was actually feeling better these days...so she was starting to test boundaries a little more.  So, infection/antibiotics means she got out of getting some of her catch up vaccinations this week.  We'll try again in two weeks.  I really want her to have her vaccinations caught up before school starts in the fall.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment