Chinese proverb

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break."
(ancient Chinese proverb)


Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Audra's rough day

Audra is now fast asleep, recovering from her tough day.  She had ALL of her dental work done at CHOP under anesthesia.  When I took her to the dentist in June they were only able to get a very quick peek inside her mouth but they could tell right away that she had "a lot going on in there".  And because of her involved medical history (despite only having a few months home to have a medical history!) it was decided that it would be safest to do everything in the OR. 

She was a super-star today.  (But isn't she everyday!)  She (and I) are so lucky to be cared for by so many of my amazing colleagues at CHOP.  And many others stopped by to check on her and just say "hi". 

I was able to go into the OR with her until she was off to sleep.  Our first update from the nurse....

"the dentist said...Wow, there's more going on in there than I expected!"
 
In the end she needed 4 root canals with crowns, and six more fillings for cavities.  No wonder my girl hates having her teeth brushed...I am sure all of that must have hurt so much.  And it really hurts my heart to think that this is such a preventable thing, and that she probably didn't have access to what we consider typical dental care while she was in China. 
 
An added bonus today was that they were able to draw the MANY vials of bloodwork she needed done...while she was asleep!  AMEN!  (her tummy troubles are still lingering so GI wanted more bloodwork done)
 
When we were brought back to see her in the recovery room she was being held in a rocking chair by her nurse...a very dear friend of mine for many years.  Audra, and I, are so very blessed.  She really was in the best of hands all day.  With people I know very well and trust will all my heart. 
 
Now she is sporting some signs of her rough day:  swollen lips, chipmunk cheeks, bloody nose and just appearing...black and blue eyes! 
 
She is one tough tiny little girl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment